At the end of the meeting day, when the weather is still brisk and you've taken the reception outside, there's nothing like a creative cocktail to set a festive mood. Offer up this smokey version of the classic Old Fashioned, which comes from the wellness-focused Garden of the Gods Resort in Colorado Springs, Colo. The property, which offers more than 21,000 square feet of meeting space, adjusted some of its outdoor areas in 2020 to bring more event elements outside, and now offers patio dining (blankets are available for keeping warm), music outdoors until 10 p.m., and yoga and spin classes out in nature.
Ol’ Smokey Old Fashioned
2 oz 291 Rye Whiskey (or the rye of your choice)
½ oz pure maple syrup
2 dashes black walnut bitters
Flamed orange peel and Luxardo maraschino cherry for garnish
- Measure ingredients into stirring glass with fresh ice.
- Strain into a glass bottle.
- Using a smoking gun, fill the bottle with Black Vanilla pipe tobacco smoke.
- Secure smoke in bottle with stopper.
- Prepare Old Fashioned glass with ice sphere and add garnish.
- Remove stopper from bottle and pour smoke and cocktail into prepared glass.