Note: The following is Northstar Meetings Group's inaugural Convention Cities Index (CCi). For the most recent CCi, released in June 2021, please head here.
Selecting the right meetings destination is tricky business, especially for events that draw large audiences. The host city must be equipped with ample convention space, as well as plenty of nearby hotel rooms, affordable rates, safe surroundings and a convenient airport. Conducting this research can be a taxing manual effort for meeting planners.
To aid in the selection process for the world’s largest events, Northstar Meetings Group has created the meetings industry’s first-and-only Convention Cities Index, a weighted-ranking system that identifies those destinations that are ideally suited for the world’s grandest gatherings. The CCi rankings reveal the top 25 global convention cities, as well as the top 25 U.S. cities.
To determine the rankings, Meetings & Conventions conducted research across five key categories:
- The amount of indoor exhibit space at the city’s largest convention center.
- The number of hotel rooms within 15 minutes’ walking distance of the convention center.
- The average cost of a hotel room in the city.
- The travel time (without traffic) from the nearest international airport to the convention center.
- The city’s level of risk for travelers.
Download our guide, The Convention Cities Index, to see and compare the top global and domestic destinations best suited to host large-scale meetings. The comprehensive digital reference guide includes findings by category and profiles of the leading destinations.