Why Fort Worth/Irving for Your Next Meeting?
The Dallas Metroplex is burgeoning with towns constantly expanding to entice groups. For instance, Fort Worth has four notable hotels in the works, and in Irving (above), several properties have undergone renovations or are in the process of redoing their rooms and event spaces.
Event Venues, Additions & Renovations
• As work continues on a $175 million revamp of the historic Stockyards district, the 200-room Hotel Drover with 15,000 square feet of meeting space will open this year at the end of Mule Alley's planned street of shops, eateries, offices and live-entertainment venues.
Fort Worth Travel Essentials
CONVENTION CENTER: Fort Worth Convention Center
; exhibit space, approximately 253,226 square feet; number of meeting rooms, 41 TAXES:
Room tax, 15%; sales tax, 8.25%; total tax on hotel rooms, 15%CONTACT: Visit Fort Worth
• The Sinclair, an Autograph Collection hotel, opened this past fall with 164 rooms, including a two-story penthouse. The high-tech hotel runs on lithium-ion batteries instead of a diesel generator, and guest rooms have Kohler digital showers, Savvy electric mirrors and LG wallpaper TVs. Sensors use Bluetooth to automate and customize the in-room experience.
• Other properties in development for the city are the 252-room AC Hotel by Marriott, opening this year; a 232-room Kimpton hotel, to debut in summer 2021; and the 240-room Sandman Signature Hotel, for which an opening date has yet to be set.
• Dickies Arena is now open in the Will Rogers Memorial Center Complex. Ten minutes from downtown, the 14,000-seat arena hosts the annual Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo, concerts, sporting events and more.
Leave the meeting room and hit the trail — the Fort Worth Ale Trail
, that is. Nine breweries dot the landscape in and around the city, such as the Funkytown Fermatorium, serving Fort Worth-only brews and wood-fired pizzas, and Cowtown Brewing, with a menu of savory BBQ and beers.
The historic Stockyards district is getting a makeover, with work already proceeding on the first phase of the $175 million project. Among the plans, an Autograph Collection hotel is planned for the area, to debut in spring 2020 with 200 rooms, 15,000 square feet of meeting space and an elegant event barn. In addition, a rustic resort called the Hotel Drover will be built at the end of Mule Alley's planned street of shops, eateries, offices and live-entertainment venues.
Fort Worth's meetings properties include the 614-room Omni Fort Worth Hotel, 504-room Renaissance Worthington Hotel, 429-room Sheraton Fort Worth Hotel and Spa, and 294-room Hilton Fort Worth.
Transportation in & Around Fort Worth
Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, 17 miles from the downtown district. Transfer cost by taxi, about $51; Lyft and Uber start at $30; by Trinity Railway Express, $2.50
Event Venues, Additions & Renovations
• Groups now can stay at the new 350-room Westin Irving Convention Center at Las Colinas, which opened last February. The hotel has 16,000 square feet of meeting space, the Mesa Mezcal restaurant, the Craft Coffee Shop and the Vibe Pool Bar.
• The 506-room Westin Dallas Fort Worth Airport has completed a $5 million renovation throughout. Added was a 2,955-square-foot Westin Club; new in the fitness center are Peloton bikes. The property has 34,701 square feet of event space.
• A propertywide revamp is underway at the 410-room Omni Mandalay. Stay tuned for details.
• The Toyota Music Factory continues to welcome new tenants, such as the Pacheco Taco Bar and an outpost of the Dallas' Mercy Wine Bar. An axe-throwing establishment has joined the fray, as weill. Stumpy's Hatchet House, with 11 throwing bays, hosts groups of up to 40; bring in your own food and drink.
Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, about 10 miles from Irving. Transfer cost by taxi, $23; Lyft and Uber, $16
Top 10 Restaurants in Fort Worth/Irving
The Lone Star State is known for only two climates, hot and hotter. But these fantastic restaurants offer a spectacular variety of choices.
- The Capital Grille, Fort Worth - Steakhouse
- Pappas Bros. Steakhouse, Irving - Steakhouse
- Texas de Brazil, Fort Worth - Brazilian
- Via Real Gourmet Mexican, Irving - Mexican
- Grace - Ft. Worth, Fort Worth - American
- Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen, Irving - Cajun
- Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steakhouse, Fort Worth - Steakhouse
- The Ranch at Las Colinas, Irving - Southwestern
- Terra Mediterranean, Fort Worth - Greek
- Aspen Creek Grill, Irving - American
- Best Airline: American Airlines, Fort Worth
- Best CVB/DMO, Southwest: Georgetown Convention & Visitors Bureau, Georgetown
- Best Convention Center, Southwest: Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, Grapevine
- Best On-Site Tech/Wi-Fi , Southwest: Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, Grapevine
- Best Green Initiative, Southwest: Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, Grapevine
- Best Renovation (within past year), Southwest: Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, Grapevine
- Best CVB/DMO, Southwest: Irving Convention and Visitors Bureau, Irving
- Best Convention Center, Southwest: Irving Convention Center at Las Colinas, Irving