Why Atlanta for Your Next Meeting or Event?
With several major new hotels in the pipeline, two stunning new sports arenas -- Mercedes-Benz Stadium and SunTrust Park -- and expansions of the Georgia World Congress Center and Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, the city's group appeal keeps growing.
CONVENTION CENTERS: Georgia World Congress Center
; exhibit space, approximately 1.4 million square feet; number of meeting rooms, 106; (404) 223-4200Georgia International Convention Center
; exhibit space, 150,000 square feet; number of meeting rooms, 10; (770) 997-3566
TAXES: Room tax, 8.9 %; sales tax, 8%; total tax on hotel rooms, 16.9%, plus $5 per room, per night
CONTACT: Atlanta Convention & Visitors Bureau
, (404) 521-6600
New & Coming Soon to Atlanta
• The Georgia World Congress Center Authority has announced a short list of hotel companies (Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Hyatt Hotels Corp., Marriott International and InterContinental Hotels) under consideration to manage a planned 1,000-room hotel to be built on the former Georgia Dome site. The property is projected to open in Q4 2021.
• The new 200-room Dream Atlanta, Buckhead, is slated to open in 2020. Among the hotel's offerings will be a spa and wellness facility; five dining and nightlife venues, including a 17,000-square-foot rooftop pool bar and lounge; and an as yet undetermined amount of meeting space. The dual-tower development also will include 80,000 square feet of office and retail space.
• The 264-room Omni Hotel at the Battery Atlanta debuted in early 2018 as part of the Battery Atlanta mixed-use complex, which includes baseball's SunTrust Park, the Coca-Cola Roxy music venue, shopping outlets, restaurants and office space. The property offers more than 20,000 square feet of meeting space, including a 5,344-square-foot grand ballroom, a presidential suite with a private terrace, and a fifth-floor pool deck with views of SunTrust Park's home plate. The on-site Achie's restaurant by chef Hugh Acheson serves Southern-inspired fare.
• Another new lodging option, the 214-room Solis Two Porsche Drive, has opened near Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. The hotel was built to complement the nearby Porsche Experience Center, where hotel guests will have access to site tours, exclusive driving experiences and more. The property has approximately 6,500 square feet of meeting space, including a 3,600-square-foot ballroom and a restaurant.
• Set to open in December is a dual-branded Marriott property. The five-story project includes the 133-room AC Hotel Atlanta Midtown and the 155-room Moxy Atlanta Midtown. The hotels will share meeting space, outdoor breakout space, a health and fitness center, and a rooftop pool and bar with outdoor fire pits. The development will include an Arts Walk -- a path that will facilitate hotel guests and residents alike as they stroll from 14th Street to the Crescent Avenue entertainment and dining district, as well as the Woodruff Arts Center.
• The Atlanta Marriott Peachtree Corners recently completed an extensive renovation that included upgrades of all public spaces, the lobby, the registration area, 5,000 square feet of meeting and event space, and all 222 guest rooms, which now feature walk-in, glass-enclosed showers and hardwood floors. In addition, a new eatery, Restaurant 475, has opened.
• Scheduled to debut in early 2019 is the mixed-use SLS Atlanta Hotel & Residences. The property, featuring 214 guest rooms and 66 condos, is two blocks from Atlanta's Piedmont Park.
• Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport is undergoing a renovation that will add five new gates to Concourse T, with other work, including an update of 1970s-era parking decks, still to be determined.
• The iconic Ritz-Carlton, Buckhead, is now The Whitley, a Luxury Collection hotel. The 507-room property offers more than 30,000 square feet of meeting and event space, including an outdoor terrace.
• Now underway, an expansion of the Georgia World Congress Center includes a 100,000-square-foot exhibit hall, 48,000 square feet of meeting space and a 20,000-square-foot lobby. Also coming is a 30,000-square-foot rooftop terrace with views of Atlanta's skyline and Mercedes-Benz Stadium. The addition will debut in 2020.
Looking to Plan an Atlanta Meeting?
Learn everything you need to know about this beautiful locale at Leadership Forum
, Northstar’s premier event for meetings and incentive pros looking to book biz in the area.
More Meeting Hotels & Event Venues
Among the city's major meeting properties are the 1,663-room Atlanta Marriott Marquis, 1,260-room Hyatt Regency Atlanta, 1,249-room Hilton Atlanta, 1,073-room Westin Peachtree Plaza and 1,038-room Omni Hotel at CNN Center.
To find and compare hotels, and send RFPs, visit Northstar Meetings Group's new venue finder.
Learn everything you wanted to know (and then some) about a mighty American icon at the World of Coca-Cola. The museum has several spaces for private events, including a tasting room.
Transportation in & Around the Area
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, about 10 miles south of downtown Atlanta. Transfer cost by taxi, $30
Top 10 Restaurants in the Big Peach
Opt for some of the area's best dining spots.
- Bone's Restaurant - Steakhouse
- La Grotta Ristorante Italiano - Italian
- Canoe - American
- Nan Thai Fine Dining - Asian, Thai
- Desta Ehtiopian Kitchen - African
- Babette's Cafe - French, Italian, Spanish
- Nikolai's Roof - Contemporary
- Eight Sushi Lounge - Japanese
- Aria - American
- Herban Fix Vegan Kitchen - Asian, Fusion