Why Arlington for Your Next Meeting or Event?
About midway between Dallas and Fort Worth, Arlington is home to baseball’s Texas Rangers and football’s Dallas Cowboys. The city is awash in new developments, including the just-opened Texas Live! entertainment district. A Loews hotel, under construction,
should be ready for guests in 2019.
Event Venues, Additions & Renovations
• The city’s new entertainment district, Texas Live!, debuted in August with a number of eateries and special-event venues. The Arlington Backyard is an open-air spot for up to 5,000
people, and the 35,000-square-foot multilevel Live! Arena features a 100-foot media wall and space for about 3,000 people. Fun food and drink can be found at Guy Fieri’s Taco Joint, the Lockhart Smokehouse, the PBR Bar and Troy’s for live music and
• Construction continues on the first Live! by Loews hotel, which will serve as the headquarters property for baseball’s
Texas Rangers. The $150 million, 302-room property, opening in 2019, will be part of the Texas Live! district. A new ballpark for the Rangers, Globe Life Field, is under construction nearby and will open for the 2020 season.
• The $10 million
transformation of the Arlington Convention Center into the Esports Stadium Arlington is on target to be completed by the end of this year. The facility
will feature space for competitions, gaming, retail and social areas, along with VIP hospitality options and more. The Arlington Convention & Visitors Bureau will continue to market and sell the center as a convention venue.
• Heart-stopping rides galore are the hallmark of Six Flags Over Texas, the original theme park in the franchise. Just opened in July is Harley Quinn Spinsanity, a gyroscopic thriller that “delivers unpredictable, gravity-defying flips, twists and turns,” part of the Gotham City section of the park that includes the Joker, Catwoman Whip and the Riddler Revenge. Catered picnics for up to 20,000, private access to the park, team-building activities and myriad group permutations can be accommodated. (817) 640-8900
• While a B&B isn’t often the top pick for a meeting, the 12-room Sanford House is the exception, welcoming groups of up to 60 in the Manor and 200 in the Grand Courtyard.
• The gastropub craze has taken root here, with newcomer Tipsy Oak offering a full and varied beer menu along with upscale pub fare. Some dishes incorporate brews, like the Legal Draft fish and chips, and BBQ brisket made with Division Brewing Porter sauce. (817) 962-0304
• Nearly 30,000 students are enrolled at the 420-acre University of Texas at Arlington, Aside from offering more than 180 degree programs in a broad range of disciplines, the school provides a number of meeting and event venues for groups of all sizes. The on-campus College Park Center is a 218,000-square-foot arena, home of the NCAA Mavericks men’s and women’s basketball teams, the Dallas Wings of the Women’s National Basketball Association and more. The center welcomes conferences, trade shows and informal competitions in areas such as the 12,000-square-foot arena floor. For concerts and other staged events, the center seats up to 6,300 people. A 2,800-square-foot hospitality suite also is available. Other event spaces at the university include the planetarium, which seats 148 for scheduled star shows or customized programs. The facility also can accommodate private events for up to 50 people seated or 100 reception-style. UTA’s Texas Hall, a 76,000-square-foot proscenium theater, seats up to 2,625 people for concerts and more.
Major group properties in town include the 311-room Sheraton Arlington, 308-room Hilton Arlington, 237-room DoubleTree by Hilton Arlington, 200-room Crowne Plaza Suites and 175-room Blue Cyprus.
In July, Dallas Fort Worth International Airport received a $180 million commitment from the Federal Aviation Administration for runway improvements.
The project is underway and should be completed by December.
The Terminal E Satellite is being expanded from nine to 15 gates for regional jet service. The facility also will be modernized and will offer more concession space.
Looking to Plan an Arlington Meeting?
Learn everything you need to know about this sunny locale at Destination Texas
, Northstar’s premier event for meetings and incentive pros looking to book biz in the area.
Transportation in & Around Arlington
Dallas Fort Worth International Airport, approximately 12 miles north of downtown. Transfer cost to downtown by taxi, $33; Lyft and Uber start at
$22; by shuttle, $18
Dallas Love Field, about 20 miles from downtown. Transfer cost by taxi, $42; Lyft and Uber start at $26
Top 10 Restaurants in Arlington
Arlington is a great locale to get your taste of authentic Mexican food, along with other steakhouse and cuisine favorites.
- Istanbul Grill - Mediterranean
- Piccolo Mondo - Italian
- Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen - Seafood
- Babe's Chicken Dinner House - American
- Mariano's Hacienda - Mexican
- Pappasito's Cantina - Mexican
- Abuelo's - Mexican
- Fork in the Road - American
- Saltgrass Steak House - American
- Prince Lebanese Grill - Lebanese