From breathtaking natural beauty to a variety of cultural institutions, the City by the Bay has much to offer planners -- and soon, there will be much more. The Moscone Center expansion will debut in January 2019, adding another 170,000 square feet of flexible meeting space to the venue.
Good to Know
CONVENTION CENTER: Moscone Center
; exhibit space, 700,000 square feet (after an expansion that will wrap up in January 2019, about 888,300 square feet); number of meeting rooms, 106, about 186 post-expansion; (415) 974-4000
TAXES: Room tax, 14%; sales tax, 8.5%; Tourism Improvement District assessment, Zone 1 (convention hotels area), 2.25%; total tax, Zone 1 rooms, 16.25%
CONTACT: San Francisco Travel
, (415) 974-6900
• The JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square wrapped up renovations of its meeting space this past August, complementing recently updated guest rooms and marking the end of a multimillion-dollar propertywide upgrade. The 344-room luxury hotel now offers remodeled ballrooms and 21st-floor meeting rooms, all with new technology, natural lighting and sweeping views of the city. The hotel has 16,648 square feet of meeting and event space overall, including an expansive outdoor terrace and a 4,352-square-foot ballroom that can host up to 500 attendees.
• The city welcomed the massive $2.2 billion Salesforce Transit Centerin August -- only to have it temporarily close six weeks later when cracks were discovered in two steel beams. Repairs to the 1 million-square-foot transit hub are likely to take months, although the exact nature of those repairs isn’t yet known. Fremont Street, which runs adjacent to the facility, should reopen later this month. The 5.4-acre rooftop park atop the terminal could again open to the public early next month.
• The Hotel Triton, a historic 140-room property near Union Square, is on track to wrap up a $6 million renovation project this month. The hotel promises a comfortable vibe with bright open spaces as part of its new look. The redesign will be evident in all guest rooms and bathrooms, as well as the lobby. Marble finishes, new custom furniture such as lounge chairs and round dining tables, decorative mirrors and new bathroom fixtures are among the new touches. The lobby now features a 1940s mural that was uncovered behind the wall during the renovation.
The Park James Hotel
debuted in Menlo Park in late September. The 61-room luxury Silicon Valley newcomer features the locally sourced Oak + Violet restaurant and 1,200 square feet of meeting space.
Phase 1 of renovations at the 476-room San Mateo Marriott
are complete, resulting in last month's debut of Craft/Code Kitchen & Cocktails, as well as other reimagined public spaces.
• The five "Enlightened Rooms" at the 116-room Hotel Zetta now feature Peloton bikes for workouts, along with free healthy snacks in the in-room VitalBars.
• This summer's opening of the 34-room Signature San Francisco heralded the debut of Red Lion's refreshed boutique brand. The South-of-Market property, a chic retro-modern transformation of the former City Center Inn & Suites, is on 7th Street, five blocks from Moscone Center. Tech touches include mobile key and check-in.
Properties in the South of Market area near Moscone Center include the 1,500-room San Francisco Marriott Marquis, 681-room Park Central Hotel, 550-room InterContinental San Francisco, 413-room W San Francisco, 405-room Courtyard by Marriott San Francisco Downtown, 277-room Four Seasons Hotel San Francisco, 260-room St. Regis San Francisco, 202-room Hotel Zelos and 143-room Americania Hotel.
To find and compare hotels, and send RFPs, visit Northstar Meetings Group's new venue finder.
For those considering a side trip or off-site event in nearby Napa Valley, the 180-room Westin Verasa Napa offers a convenient Downtown Napa location and the F&B chops of its signature restaurant, La Toque, helmed by Michelin-starred chef Ken Frank. The more than 12,000 square feet of event space at the property includes a large outdoor courtyard strung out with lights, and the 3,128-square-foot Amphora Ballroom. La Toque can cater events off-site, too, and partners with wineries such as Shadybrook Estate and Charles Krug. (707) 257-1800
Getting Here and There
San Francisco International Airport, 13 miles south of downtown San Francisco; transfer cost by taxi, about $46-$66; by shuttle, $17. Lyft, Uber, Sitbaq and Wingz apps all operate here.