Managing Covid tests and mask mandates can get complicated even for a small gathering — but what about a high-profile series of events across multiple venues, in which you're testing everyone from frontline workers to Lady Gaga herself? That's the situation event planners found themselves in as they prepared for the grand opening of Los Angeles' Academy Museum of Motion Pictures. To pull off this feat, health-testing company Co-Protect had to manage thousands of tests, masks and other services, ensuring the numerous galas, press events and openings went off without a hitch.
On this custom episode of Eventful: The Podcast for Meeting Professionals, we discuss this event with Darren K. Green, the chief sales officer for the Los Angeles Tourism & Convention Board, and Tom Penn, cofounder and CEO of Co-Protect, as well as cofounder of the Los Angeles Football Club and a longtime sports analyst for ESPN.
We delve into the specifics of the Academy Museum opening, what lessons it offers for meeting planners, and how Co-Protect's partnership with LA Tourism is helping elevate the security and safety of every event held in the city.
Among the topics discussed in this episode:
• How Tom Penn's experience in the professional sports world helped him identify the potential of customized face masks for events, including business events (2:25)
• What Co-Protect and LA Tourism's partnership means for meeting planners (4:40)
• How the complex and high-profile opening of the new Academy Museum was held with a high level of safety and minimal logistical challenges thanks to this partnership (7:00)
• Why a consistent, comprehensive approach to testing is key for large-scale international events such as E3, Adobe and Japanese Anime, all being held in Los Angeles in the next year (14:05)
• How planners can navigate the frequently shifting mandates on vaccines and testing, particularly for international events (15:05)
Listen to the in-depth conversation in our latest episode of Eventful: The Podcast for Meeting Professionals, and remember to subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Google Podcasts and anywhere else you listen to podcasts.
This podcast was created in partnership with Los Angeles Tourism & Convention Board.