Check out the local festivals, exhibits and performances taking place during your events.
The home stadium of the NFL's Arizona Cardinals was renamed State Farm Stadium, after the insurance company made an 18-year deal for naming rights (it was previously named the University of Phoenix Stadium). The venue recently spent $28 million renovating its club level in preparation for two major events coming to the city within the next five years: Super Bowl LVII in 2023 and the NCAA men's basketball Final Four in 2024.
• Local restaurateur Christopher Collins overhauled two of his Phoenix restaurants last October, giving each a new name, look and culinary theme. Twisted Grove Parlor + Bar is now a bistro called the Collins Small Batch Kitchen.
• The Southwestern U.S. is agave country, and there are any number of high-end tequila bars in the greater Phoenix area with dozens or even hundreds of varieties. But for atmosphere, you really can't beat Phoenix's Taco Guild. Housed in a historic mission-style church building that features a soaring wood-beam ceiling and stained-glass windows, Taco Guild serves award-winning tacos, burritos and other Mexican fare. A private dining room hosts groups of up to 25.
• Kickstarter-backed Greenwood Brewing is scheduled to open a brewery, taproom and beer garden along Roosevelt Row in downtown Phoenix. The woman-owned brewery produces craft beer with girl-power monikers such as "Herstory" pale ale. Greenwood's new home — a mix of new construction and adaptive re-use of existing structures — is scheduled to open this fall.
Stay Another Day
• If you're in Phoenix at the beginning of the month, catch the self-guided First Fridays Art Walk, which takes place along and around Roosevelt Row in downtown. More than 70 galleries, venues and art-related spaces participate; tour them by utilizing the free hop-on/hop-off shuttles that circulate through three artsy districts.
• The Heard Museum in Phoenix has one of the most extensive collections of American Indian art in the U.S., with a focus on tribes of the Southwest. The downtown venue features some 40,000 fine artworks and cultural artifacts.
• Last September, a unique destination called The Churchill opened its doors in downtown Phoenix. The innovative $3.5 million project entailed repurposing 20 shipping containers into sites for 10 locally owned shops, bars and restaurants.
• With a collection of more than 15,000 musical instruments, the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix is an engaging venue for tourists as well as groups.
• Grand attraction: This February, the Grand Canyon celebrated 100 years since it was designated a national park. The canyon's famed South Rim, which is open year-round, is roughly a three-and-a-half hour drive from Phoenix. Outfitters including Detours American West, offer private tours and, for a truly birds-eye view of this natural wonder, private helicopter tours.
• Restoration spot: The former Carefree Resort and Conference Center has been transformed into Civana Carefree, a wellness-themed eco-chic retreat. The 176-room resort has 23,000 square feet of function space, including a 9,600-square-foot ballroom with a capacity of 1,000. This past December, Civana debuted an enormous new 22,000-square-foot spa, so guests can unwind after taking advantage of the resort's complimentary classes and activities.
• Desert aisles: Stroll the winding paths of the Desert Botanical Garden. The 140-acre venue showcases a variety of arid plants, from towering saguaros to delicate blooms. During the winter holidays, the gardens are transformed into an evening wonderland, lit by thousands of luminarias and twinkling lights.
Guest Rooms - 950
Meeting Rooms - 29
Largest Conference Room - 33,218 sq. ft.
Total event space - 241,106 sq. ft.
Room Rate Range - $502-$772
Guest Rooms - 744
Meeting Rooms - 11
Largest Conference Room - 20,000 sq. ft.
Total event space - 120,000 sq. ft.
Room Rate Range - $279-$327
Guest Rooms - 1,000
Meeting Rooms - 51
Largest Conference Room - 27,171 sq. ft.
Total event space - 111,961 sq. ft.
Room Rate Range - $227-$290