• Charter boat operator Pure Florida has added a new vessel, the Sea Flight, to its fleet. This 45-foot, high-speed catamaran can comfortably host groups of up to 20 for half-day fishing excursions. With a boat this zippy, groups can get as far as 25 miles offshore into the Gulf of Mexico, where fish like grouper and snapper are plentiful.
• Naples has been reinventing itself as a health-conscious destination for the past few years, and a recent spa overhaul at a major resort will surely raise the area’s profile among wellness destinations. The 474-room Naples Grande Beach Resort rolled out a new spa menu this month that includes more than a dozen new holistic therapies including cryotherapy, salt flotation therapy in a "weightless" floatation tank, and detoxification in an infrared sauna.
• Between Naples and Fort Myers in Bonita Springs is the 454-room Hyatt Regency Coconut Point Resort & Spa,
which was bought by Host Hotels & Resorts last year. Hyatt is still managing the property, which added onto its three-acre water park a few years ago and now has five water slides and a lazy river, as well as an adults-only pool. Don't want to get
wet? There's also plenty of lawn games like corn hole, Giant Jenga and Giant Connect Four, plus a rock-climbing wall.
• The picturesque white-sand beaches of Sanibel Island — some 50 miles north of Naples — are a mecca of sorts for seashell
lovers, and even if you don't have time for a beachfront stroll, there's no shortage of gift shops, galleries and boutiques where you can shop for an ocean-inspired bounty of souvenirs, crafts, jewelry and other seashell creations.
Naples Sports Scene
Baseball buffs can check out the Florida Grapefruit League, spring training for the Boston Red Sox and Minnesota Twins at JetBlue Park in nearby Fort
Getting Active & Outdoors
• Take a wake on the wild side: Ngala Wildlife Preserve in Naples offers 42 acres of lush outdoor space. The grounds include a waterfall and tranquil koi pond, habitats for exotic and protected animals like giraffes and Florida panthers and a tented tropical. Interactive animal encounters, facilitated by professional handlers can create a truly immersive experience
• Naples has been building on its initiative to brand itself as a wellness destination with numerous attractions, tourism-oriented businesses, and even breweries offering yoga and meditation activities for individuals and groups — often in picturesque outdoor and natural settings. Pure Florida, which operates nature and sightseeing cruises in Naples Bay, debuted a Yoga Cruise that includes a beach yoga class. Breweries Ankrolab Brewing Co. and Naples Beach Brewery, as well as brewpub Southern Latitudes, host regular yoga classes.
• For high-energy team building, head to Defy Fort Myers, a unique venue about an hour north of Naples. Among the “extreme air sports” on offer are nearly three dozen trampolines, including several mounted on walls; a rock wall; an indoor zipline trapeze; foam pits, and a host of other ways to get a group bonding over airborne adventures. For adrenaline junkies, Defy’s Ninja Obstacle Course offers even greater challenges.
• As the host of the Minto US Open Pickleball Championships, Naples has declared itself the Pickleball Capital of the World. An easy-to-learn hybrid of tennis, badminton and ping-pong, pickleball is a great activity for group bonding. The Pickleball Academy of Southwest Florida in East Naples Community Park — a 54-court pickleball mecca and the site of the annual championships — offers group lessons and team-building options.
• There are roughly 90 golf courses in Naples, Marco Island and Collier County, and while most are private clubs or affiliated with resorts, there are a number that welcome the public. Reserve tee time at the Valencia Golf & Country Club, which racked up an impressive four stars from Golf Digest magazine and reopened last November after a massive renovation.
Naples Annual Festivals
Held each January since 2001, the Naples Winter Wine Festival is a three-day bonanza during which hundreds of oenophiles sip, savor and bid on prized
vintages during a big-ticket charity auction, which raised nearly $16 million for the Naples Children & Education Foundation this year.
Hot Cocktail Spots in Naples
• The white sand and tropical ocean breezes might call to mind rum runners or daiquiris, but this area of Southern Florida has a growing number of excellent craft breweries. Naples Beach Brewery,
which opened in 2012, offers 24 house beers in its tasting room. In North Naples are Bone Hook Brewing Co. and Riptide Brewing Co. Bone Hook has up to 20 beers on offer, along with a laid-back pub-grub menu and live music on weekends. Riptide has up to a dozen of its own beers on tap on any given day, and also has guest taps to feature
the work of other local craft breweries.
• Marco Island Brewery might only have a few of its own beers, but you can sample a curated lineup of
local and national craft beers — from bright and hoppy IPAs to full-bodied stouts. And if you still can't get enough suds, South Street City Oven and Grill in Naples claims to have the largest selection of craft beers on tap in Southwest Florida, and offers up to 40 different draft beers, plus Philadelphia-inspired eats like fried calamari, pizza and (of course) cheesesteaks.
• Staying a bit
further afield? Check out Momentum Brewhouse in Bonita Springs or Fort Myers Brewing Co. for some great local brews on tap.
To complement your martini, try out one of these Top 10 eateries.
Naples Top 10 Restaurants
- Mediterrano - Seafood, Mediterranean
- Lima Restaurant and Pisco Bar - Peruvian
- La Trattoria - Italian, pizzeria
- Black Forest Restaurant - German
- Maria D'anna Cafe - Polish
- Bha! Bha! Persian Bistro - Mediterranean
- Rumba Cuban Cafe - Cuban
- The European Cafe - Polish
- Brooks Gourmet - American
- Fuse Global Cuisine - Gastropub
Guest Rooms - 450
Meeting Rooms - 19
Largest Conference Room - 10,062 sq. ft.
Total event space - 53,858 sq. ft.
Room Rate Range - $387-$645
The Stella Awards Winner 2019
Guest Rooms - 319
Meeting Rooms - 16
Largest Conference Room - 6,283 sq. ft.
Total event space - 33,844 sq. ft.
Room Rate Range - $232-$275
The Stella Awards Winner 2019
Guest Rooms - 474
Meeting Rooms - 16
Largest Conference Room - 5,802 sq. ft.
Total event space - 33,802 sq. ft.
Room Rate Range - $178-$496