Why Abu Dhabi for Your Next Meeting or Event?
Abu Dhabi, the capital and the largest of the seven emirates that make up the United Arab Emirates (UAE), offers the best of the modern and the traditional. Here are cutting-edge meeting facilities, soaring spires of commerce, stunning white beaches and shimmering turquoise waters. Attendees can explore the rich cultural bounty of Qasr al Hosn, Abu Dhabi city’s oldest stone building, and the Louvre Abu Dhabi, the first universal museum in the Arab World. Your group also will enjoy authentic local culture, expanses of awesome desert and unforgettable experiences replete with menageries of horses, camels, falcons and salukis (gracefully swift, silky-coated dogs), artisan crafts and charming legends.
Only in Abu Dhabi
Most destinations would be thrilled to have just one designated UNESCO World Heritage Site; the emirate of Abu Dhabi is studded with six of them in its Al Ain region, all within a 90-minute drive. For example:
- Al Ain "The Spring" Oases features cool, shady walkways and a 3,000-year-old falaj irrigation system The archaeological site of Hafeet includes Jebel Hafit, more than 4,068 feet high and the emirate's highest peak. The mountain has been weathered over millions of years, while more than 500 burial tombs dating back 5,000 years or more are dotted throughout the surrounding foothills; attendees can enjoy stunning views as they ascend by car, hike or cycle to the top.
- The Hili Grand Tomb dates to about 2000 BC and was used to bury residents from the surrounding settlements. The ornate, circular tomb is adorned with engraved reliefs showing human and animal figures. Head here for an immersive 3-D view of the site via Google Street View.
- Taxes: Abu Dhabi city tax, 6%; municipality tax, 4%, plus US$4 per night; total tax on hotel rooms,10% plus US$4 per night
- Convention Centers:
• Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Center; number of meeting rooms, 24; total exhibit space, 785,765 square feet indoors, 601,702 square feet outdoors. The venue includes the 86,111-square-foot International Convention Center, the emirate’s largest indoor auditorium, which can accommodate 6,000 guests seated and 8,000 standing.• Al Ain Convention Center; number of meeting rooms, 7; total exhibit space, 992,518 square feet
- CVB: Visit Abu Dhabi
- Local Currency: UAE dirham (AED or Dhs); US$1 equals about AED 3.67
- Power: Standard voltage, 220 V; standard frequency, 50 Hz
- Time Zone: Four hours ahead of UTC (Coordinated Universal Time, formerly known as GMT). There is no daylight saving.
- Transportation: Abu Dhabi International Airport, about 20 miles from the city center. Transfer cost by taxi, about US$22