• The Oakland A's announced plans for a new ballpark to be built at Howard Terminal along the city's waterfront, as well as a redevelopment of the Oakland Coliseum, the team's current home, that will turn it into a mixed-use recreation and residential venue. The new stadium, which is framed by an elevated park, is slated to open in 2023. Read more.
• The historic California Hotel in West Oakland is undergoing a major redevelopment, and will reopen as California Hotel Live!, a cultural and culinary attraction. In addition to commercial and residential space, the multi-purpose destination will house a public music conservatory, recording label, and a 1,800-square-foot Crave BBQ (a local smoked-meat favorite since starting as a pop-up in 2017), among other attractions.
• At the end of 2018, the Waterfront Hotel, in Oakland's famous Jack London Square, began a renovation of its lobby and guest rooms. The Joie de Vivre property's 145 guest rooms and suites offer balconies, fireplaces and views of San Francisco Bay; among its 13 meeting spaces are the 2,508-square-foot Spinnaker Room, the 512-square-foot Compass Room and a poolside area able to host up to 150 people.
• February 2019 will see the opening of the new 140-room SpringHill Suites in Oakland's Airport District. The property will offer visitors a convenient option when flying in or out of the city, as well as almost 2,000 square feet of meeting space, a restaurant, a bar and a gym.
• Hampton Inn by Hilton Oakland Downtown / City Center will open its doors in summer 2019, offering more than 95 rooms right near the Oakland Convention Center, the 12th Street BART station, and plenty of restaurants and other attractions.
• Homage Hospitality, a recently launched boutique brand that debuted in New Orleans earlier this year, will open an Oakland hotel in 2019. Aimed at celebrating local culture and appealing to the African-American travel market, the company and its properties will aim to "tell stories through hospitality."
• Nestled in the Oakland Hills, the landmark Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel, celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2015 and has been rolling out updates ever since — most recently a refresh of its 20,000 square feet of meeting space. The work included fresh carpets, wall coverings, furniture and décor throughout the two ballrooms and numerous meeting rooms (several of which boast stunning views of the San Francisco Bay). During downtime, guests can schedule a treatment at the expansive Fairmont Spa or enjoy afternoon tea in the lobby lounge.
• Oakland Marriott City Center, under the same roof as the convention center, offers 500 guest rooms along with 36 meeting rooms and 100,566 square feet of indoor and outdoor meeting space. On-site dining options include the locally sourced American cuisine of the Iron & Oak Restaurant and Bar, and the venue's location in the center of downtown means guests are just blocks from plenty of other culinary options.
• The 360-room Hilton Oakland Airport offers 16 meeting rooms encompassing 16,000 square feet of space, including a 5,120-square-foot ballroom. Groups can count on the property's on-site A/V and catering teams; other features include a 24-hour business center and complimentary shuttle service to and from Oakland International Airport. Hungry? Head to the on-site Amelia's Café, serving a breakfast buffet and lunch, as well as Earhart's Tavern, offering food until late in the evening.
• The Radisson Hotel Oakland Airport offers 266 modern rooms and suites that include all the essentials for guests, from microwaves to ergonomic chairs. It also has several meeting rooms spanning a total of 7,420 square feet, including the 4,200-square-foot Jack London Ballroom and 1,702-square-foot Embarcadero Ballroom, as well as an outdoor courtyard ideal for receptions — all just a mile and a half from the airport.
• Stroll through the past at the 125-year-old Preservation Park. An upscale residential neighborhood in the 19th century, the complex now comprises 16 restored turn-of-the-20th-century buildings that boast some memorable meeting spaces. These include Nile Hall, built in 1911, which can host up to 200 people; the Ginn House Parlor (up to 80), and the Robinson Classroom (up to 50).
• Best Western Plus Bayside Hotel has 4,500 square feet of meeting space, covering six meeting rooms, most of which offer water views and take full advantage of the natural sunlight. The property offers guests plenty of ways to unwind after a meeting, including an outdoor heated pool, a fully equipped fitness center, a hot tub and a cocktail lounge open in the evenings. Free WiFi and a 24-hour business center also are on tap.