Why New York State for Your Next Meeting or Event?
Better in Buffalo
Northstar's downloadable white paper, "The Off-Season Advantage", profiles 10 U.S. cities -- Buffalo, N.Y. included -- and their off-season group offerings. Get all the insight on the benefit of planning a "slow-month" meeting by accessing your copy here
The Empire State offers some of Mother Nature's best work, be it the verdant Catskills and Adirondack mountains, the scenic Niagara region, the breathtaking Hudson Valley or many other scenic locales. Wherever you choose, New York State is a soul-stirring
setting for meetings and incentives.
What's more, the $78.5 million Albany Capital Center debuted last year with 45,200 square feet of total ballroom/exhibit, meeting and prefunction space. The
center is part of the multivenue Capital Complex.
Event Venues, Additions & Renovations
• A 12-month, $60 million renovation is underway at Greater Rochester International Airport. In the works are new retail
and dining options, upgraded security measures, new mobile device-charging stations and Bluetooth technology so travelers can tap into updated flight and gate information. Construction will wrap up this fall.
The Catskills Are Back!
The $1.2 billion, 332-room Resort World Catskills
has opened 90 minutes north of New York City in Monticello. Already in operation are 10 restaurants, a 10,000-square-foot spa, two indoor pools, 100,000 square feet of Vegas-style gaming and a 2,500-seat event center. Future plans include a boutique hotel and a Rees Jones-designed golf course.
via skybridge to the Rochester Riverside Convention Center, the Hyatt Regency Rochester has completed an $18.5 million revamp. The 343-room property now
offers renovated guest rooms, the city's first Morton's steakhouse, 20,000 square feet of function space, an outdoor terrace and scenic views of the Genesee River.
• The former Radisson Hotel Rochester Riverside has been rebranded the Rochester Riverside Hotel. The 460-room property features casual dining, a heated outdoor pool, a fitness center and approximately 30,000 square feet of meeting space, all steps away from the convention
• A new grand ballroom with floor-to-ceiling windows and capacity for 300 people is slated for a winter 2018 debut at the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Rochester. The historical 106-room property, originally the home of the National Clothing Co., also offers a casual restaurant, a heated indoor pool, a fitness
center and complimentary airport transportation.
• This month the new Arbor at the Port event center will open on Rochester's Lake Ontario waterfront.
The 5,400-square-foot facility can accommodate up to 250 dinner guests.
• The Penthouse at One East Avenue is an expansive rooftop space overlooking downtown Rochester. Large picture windows reveal surrounding historic architecture and natural beauty. The space can accommodate up to 250 people for a reception, 144 seated or 125 with a dance floor. (585) 775-2013
Convention Center: Joseph A. Floreano Rochester Riverside Convention Center; exhibit space, 100,000 square feet; number of meeting rooms, 25; (585) 232-7200
Transportation: Greater Rochester International Airport, 10 miles from downtown. Transfer cost to downtown: $20-$25 by taxi, $15 via Uber and Lyft
Taxes: Room tax, 6%; sales tax, 6%; total tax on hotel rooms, 14%
Rochester's 10 Best Restaurants
A visit to this New York destination should include a stop at one of these top restaurants.
- Pane Vino - Italian
- Rooney's Restaurant - International
- Ristorante Lucano - Italian
- Black & Blue Steak & Crab - Steakhouse
- Tournedos Steakhouse - Steakhouse
- Texas de Brazil - Brazilian
- Next Door - Sushi, American
- Char - American Steakhouse
- Michael's Valley Grill - American
- Avvino - American
Contact: Visit Rochester, (800) 677-7282
Event Venues, Additions & Renovations
• Saratoga Springs' historic Gideon Putnam hotel and conference center has reopened following repairs in the wake of a water-main break. The resort now offers 124 renovated guest rooms (including 22 suites), restaurant dining and perks that include a spa, access to three golf courses, and
approximately 12,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor function space.
New In Westchester
A 143-room Hilton Garden Inn
will soon debut in Dobbs Ferry, adjacent to the Rivertowns Square shopping village. Features will include a full-service restaurant, a fitness center, an indoor saltwater pool and 1,520 square feet of event space.Boundless Adventures
has opened a new "aerial adventure park" in Purchase, offering rope climbs, zip lines, balance beams and more.
• In downtown Saratoga Springs, the Adelphi Hospitality Group has reopened the 32-room Adelphi Hotel following a five-year renovation and revitalization. Opened in 1877, the property includes reconfigured and updated guest rooms, a restoration of the 11-foot ceilings and grand staircase in the
entry, plus a revamped speakeasy-inspired bar and a 1,200-square foot glass-wall conservatory that houses the new Blue Hen restaurant. Later this year, the iconic hotel will debut an 8,000-square-foot spa.
• Last October, Discover Saratoga
launched DiscoverSaratoga.org. The new site is an all-in-one location for visitors, meeting and event planners, and locals, offering improved navigation and
more visuals relating to Saratoga attractions, lodging and more.
• The 42-room Downtowner, formerly the Saratoga Downtowner, will reopen in July following a
renovation crafted by new owners Lark Hotels. The chic property will offer "loft-like" accommodations, an indoor common space, free-to-use iPads and complimentary small-plate breakfasts.
• The historic Saratoga Race Course kicks off another epic summer season in July. Named one of the world's greatest sporting venues by Sports Illustrated, the facility can accommodate up to 50,000 people. Having opened
in 1863, it is the oldest thoroughbred horse-racing track in America.
• The 50-room Longfellows Hotel, Restaurant and Conference Center in Saratoga Springs has grown from a humble 1915 dairy farm into a popular regional meeting facility. The property hosts everything from intimate 50-person board meetings to full-scale outdoor tented events for up to 500 people. Longfellows Restaurant features intimate dining rooms on four levels. (518) 587-0108
Convention Center: Saratoga Springs City Center; exhibit space, 12,000 square feet; number of meeting rooms, 6; (518) 584-0027
Saratoga's 10 Best Restaurants
Any visit to this New York State staple must include dinner at one of these top restaurants.
- Church Restaurant - American
- Prime - Central American
- Chianti Ristorante - Italian
- Sperry's Restaurant - American, Seafood
- The Mouzon House - French, Cajun & Creole
- Salt & Char - Steakhouse
- Morton's - Steakhouse
- Siro's - American
- Blue Hen Restaurant - American, Seafood
- Villa Balsamo - Italian
Contact: Discover Saratoga, (855) 424-6073
- Best Boutique Property, Northeast: Inns of Aurora, Gold winner
- Best Boutique Property, Northeast: Foxfire, Bronze winner
- Best Renovation (Within the Past Year), Northeast: Inns of Aurora, Gold winner
- Best Renovation (Within the Past Year), Northeast: Gurney's Star Island Resort & Marina, Bronze winner
- Best Conference Center, Northeast: etc.venues, Gold winner
- Best Hotel/Resort Event Space (On-Site), Northeast: Gurney's Montauk Resort & Seawater Spa, Bronze winner
- Best Décor/Design, Northeast: Inns of Aurora, Bronze winner
- Best Food & Beverage, Northeast: InterContinental New York Barclay, Silver winner
- Best Food & Beverage, Northeast: Gurney's Star Island Resort & Marina, Finalist
- Best Sustainability Initiative, Northeast: InterContinental New York Barclay, Silver winner
- Best Sustainability Initiative, Northeast: Gurney's Star Island Resort & Marina, Finalist
- Best On-Site Support Staff, Northeast: Inns of Aurora, Gold winner
- Best Hotel/Resort, Northeast: Intercontinental New York Barclay, Finalist
- Best Boutique Property, Northeast: Hotel Henry Urban Resort Conference Center, Silver winner
- Best Boutique Property, Northeast: The Inn at Fox Hollow, Finalist
- Best Food & Beverage, Northeast: Intercontinental New York Barclay, Gold winner
- Best Green Initiative, Northeast: InterContinental New York Barclay, Silver winner
- Best CVB/DMO, Northeast: Discover Long Island, Finalist
- Best Convention Center, Northeast: Albany Capital Center, Silver winner
- Best Conference Center, Northeast: Convene at 237 Park Avenue, Gold winner